have you ever wondered what to bring along for a long day filled with hiking, climbing, or even just playing outside? for all these small and big outdoor adventures you need something to fuel your body with.
i usually go for some homemade protein energy balls but sometimes it’s not the sweet stuff i’m craving for. in this case, i tend to bring along some delicious crunchy carrot crackers and pair it with some guacamole or hummus. if you wanna know how to make these carrot crackers even without a dehydrator then simply keep reading.
carrots are full of the important vitamin A and are a host of other impressive health benefits including improved skin, cancer prevention and anti-aging effects. you may or may not have heard about it yet but the old wisdom says that carrots are good for our eyes. since they are rich in beta-carotene, which is then converted into vitamin A in the liver, this is actually very true!
studies have also shown that carrots reduce the risk of lung cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer. another great side effect is that carrots are known to prevent infection. carrots are just simply good stuff, so be sure to always include them in your daily meals!
knowing that carrots provide so many valuable nutrients i needed to use them in my crackers to bring along on all outdoorsy activities. since i don’t have a dehydrator (yet) but wanted to make them anyways, i simply used my oven to ‘bake’ them on a relatively low temperature.
what ended up in a slightly too crunchy version (:D) in the beginning now led to the most perfect little snack for on the go. topped with some freshly sliced avocado or eaten will veggie sticks and hummus they are the perfect addition to your everyday life, believe me! and the best bit about these carrot crackers? they are way easier to make than you think!
you could say i’m kinda cheating because i’m using my food processor (with a special blade) to grate the carrots finely which probably takes up the most time. but don’t you worry, i’m sure you can easily grate three or four carrots by hand as well. after doing so, almost all you need is a seeds, some spices and you’re all set!
- 4 big carrots
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp flax seeds
- 4 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp psyllium husks (1 davon aufweichen vorher)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp curcuma
- in a glass combine 1 tbsp psyllium husks with 4 tbsp water, let sit.
- grate the carrots finely and preheat the oven to 120°C.
- take a big bowl, put the grated carrots in and add seeds and 1 tbsp psyllium husks. also add in salt, oregano, and curcuma.
- stir until all is well combined, then add psyllium water mixture and incorporate into mass.
- spread the mass on a baking tray lined out with some baking paper. use another baking paper and put on top, then, using a rolling pin, roll it out thinly.
- remove second baking paper and bake in oven at 120°C for about 30min or until slightly crunchy.
- take out and let sit on the counter to cool down before breaking crackers into pieces.
- store the crackers in an airtight container and enjoy within a week 🙂