okay before you say porridge is only for breakfast and cold winter days, let me tell you how i found out about carrot orange porridge. well, i live in the mountains and cute little stores are rare around here but they are on their way, more and more have been popping up lately. when it comes to food, it’s very traditional around here. people like to have their schweinsbraten (roast pork) with knödel and sauerkraut. but then the other day i was walking past a store which basically just started to sell a huge variety of different herbs, spices and teas. and i found a spice mix that was only waiting to be paired up with carrots & oranges.
the next day, i gave the recipe, which had developed in my head overnight, a try and it was amazing! it’s both sweet and savory, and the absolute best part is that this carrot orange porridge can literally be done in less than 10 minutes. and if i say 10 minutes, i promise you 10 minutes or less.
the recipe also doesn’t require crazy sounding ingredients and is fairly easy to cook, and again, most things you will have home already anyways. it comes vegan, gluten-free (if you get certified gluten-free oats), nut-free and still kinda suits everyone. although for me it was a main dish, this could easily be a side dish or starter as well. i can even imagine it would work really well in wraps too, or as a side dish to falafel & salad.
i also had the feeling that it is very satisfying since usually i need to eat quite a lot until i’m actually full. but because there are carbs in form of oats involved it kept me full for longer and i’m sure it will do the same trick for you too! if you wanna try to make this carrot orange porridge yourself, here you go.
- 100 ml water
- 150 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 7-8 tbsp oats (quinoa flakes work too)
- 3 carrots (yellow & orange)
- spice mix including sage, turmeric, garlic, basil, chili, ginger, and thyme
- fresh chives
because i got the spice mix already packaged in that cute little store in my neighborhood, i didn’t have to adjust the spices. but i’ll trust you with that, i’m sure it will work out just fine if you experiment a little in your kitchen 🙂
- start with grating the carrots.
- in a medium-sized pot add the freshly squeezed orange juice and mix with water.
- stir in all spices and add oats.
- stir well, then add carrots and bring to boil.
- let simmer until it the porridge thickens, probably around 2-3 minutes.
- decorate with any other herbs you might like, i added some chives.