do you know anything more addictive than ferrero rocher? well, i don’t. i wish they would be safe to eat when following a clean eating diet but i’m afraid i have to tell you guys they are loaded with sugar, chemicals, additives, flavoring, unhealthy fats and even more nasty stuff. that’s why i took this as a challenge and tried my best to create a healthy and guilt free version of it.
first off, let’s talk quickly about the original version. first ingredient in the list is sugar, i guess that says it all. if you read further, things like skim milk powder, anhydrous milk fat, lecithin, and even more sugar sugar are listed. i would have guessed these ingredients up until now but then comes a surprise – modified palm oil!
we all know that palm oil is extremely harming our planet (if you don’t, check out this article to learn more) but we may not all know that it may also harm our health. in various studies palm oil is found to contribute to the growth of cancer cells. what i didn’t know and also didn’t expect from ferrero is the fact that they don’t only use palm oil but even use modified palm oil. as with any part of our diet, moderation is always a good idea and a little palm oil won’t kill you but you would certainly want to avoid all sorts of modified things, especially modified palm oil.
next on ferrero rocher’s ingredients list are whey powder, cocoa, lecithin (again, even more), sodium bicarbonate, salt, vanillin. if you’re an expert in chemicals you might have realized that most things are artificial and human made, far from anything natural. vanillin is also called ‘imitation vanilla’ and is chemically produced as a low-quality sweetener to make products taste better.
anyways, i guess by now you should have realized that the original ferrero rocher may not be the best and healthiest option for you and your body. but here’s the good news – i came up with a similar version and yes, you absolutely have to try it! it consists of only 5 ingredients and will leave you satisfied for sure!
one more thing before leaving you with the full list of ingredients.. please don’t expect these healthy ferrero rocher to be the exact texture and flavour. what you can expect though is pure bliss and satisfaction as you take each bite.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 1 small bar chocolate (i prefer raw but you can use any, the darker the less sugar)
- 10-15 whole hazelnuts to put inside the balls
- some crushed hazelnuts for rolling in
- soak the dates in a bowl of warm water.
- turn on oven and set to 100 degrees. place hazelnuts on baking tray (no parchment paper needed) and pop in the oven for 10-15min.
- in your food processor or high-speed blender combine roasted hazelnuts, soaked dates, and cacao and process until you get a sticky and doughy mass.
- form balls the size of the original ferrero rocher and put one hazelnut inside. it will be around 10-15 balls in total.
- pop in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- in the meantime melt the dark chocolate.
- take the balls out of the freezer, dip them in the chocolate. make sure to cover them evenly. then roll in the crushed hazelnuts.
- if you want to do another coating, let them cool down before popping into the freezer and dipping them again. and of course you can cover them with all sorts of things such as bee pollen, edible flowers, shredded coconut and more.
- store in an airtight container for up to a week (haha good luck with that!) in a dry and cool place or simply freeze some of them to enjoy later.