sundays are for pancakes, so let me introduce you to my favorite breakfast of all time – completely vegan, with no added refined sugar and naturally gluten-free buckwheat pancakes. if you haven’t noticed yet, i tend to use buckwheat a lot in my recipes, given that it doesn’t contain gluten and it works so well with replacing other kinds of flour. if you are curious on why i love buckwheat flour so much, i have already done a post about it.
but to be honest, buckwheat flour or not, this is yet another example that classic american dishes don’t have to be full of fat, sugar and low quality carbs. while white flour lets your blood sugar levels strike, buckwheat flour can actually help your body to regulate them. another fact is that your body turns white flour into blood sugar almost as quick as if you would eat plain sugar. that’s why it’s best to choose whole grains that are still intact, and foods such as beans, lentils, and seeds.
back to sundays, breakfast in bed and pancake recipes. by using only simple ingredients it makes it even easier to whip these gluten-free pancakes up anytime, not just on weekends. you could even go as far as preparing the batter the night before and make them in the morning in a matter of just a few minutes. and because of all the topping options, these gluten-free buckwheat pancakes are just as versatile as overnight oats. not bad, right?
in terms of flavor i can only tell you, there’s a very high chance you’ll love them. the nutty taste of buckwheat aligns perfectly with the banana flavor. in my opinion even the texture is better than the one of ‘normal pancakes’ using just flour, eggs and milk. however, if you find buckwheat’s ‘earthy’ flavor too strong on its own, replace half of it with any other gluten-free flour, such as brown rice of quinoa.
the recipe serves about 2-3 people and can be used with any of your favorite toppings. this time i used a sauce made from blended frozen berries and a banana and topped it with even more berries, shredded coconut and some bee pollen. be creative and mix things up!
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ripe mashed banana
- 1 egg replacement (1 tbsp ground flaxseeds/chia seeds soaked in 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- coconut oil for pan
- in a small cup, soak flaxeeds or chia seeds in water. let sit for at least two minutes.
- in a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork. then add flour, cinnamon, and egg replacement. stir in almond milk. if needed, add more almond milk to reach desired consistency.
- lightly grease a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. drop batter, 1 big tablespoon at a time, onto the skillet and cook two to three minutes each side, or until nicely browned.
- serve pancakes topped with sauce of your choice – i’m sure chocolate works great too 😉