when the week is full of stressful days we need something to pick us up once in a while. since i’m trying not to eat too many sugary sweets – yes, even healthy treats without any artificial sweeteners can be quite high in fructose and thus sugar – these vegan millet and sweet potato balls come in handy for sure. if you like french fries and croquettes already, you will love these little balls.
in case you’re wondering how i came up with this one.. well, first of all i love to mix things up and using starchy vegetables to form other foods with different shapes have always been something fascinating for me. so it was basically just a matter of time until i would discover the ease of making my own healthy and clean version of the usually not so healthy croquettes you can buy in the freezer section of your grocery store.
why did i use millet though instead of any other grain? while there are many reasons for this, there is only one major reason. millet is naturally gluten-free and doesn’t bother your stomach as much as other grains such as wheat, spelt or rye. millet also has two sides – it can be creamy like mashed potatoes or fluffy like rice, depending on how your prepare and cook it.
all in all it’s a delicious alternative to most grains containing gluten. another reason was that among all gluten-free grains i have at home, millet seemed to be the best option for fried balls and i couldn’t imagine to get the consistency right with for example quinoa or buckwheat. so you better go and get some millet in case you don’t have it already 😉
the sweet potatoes used in this recipe add a great taste and even more nutritional value. instead of the sweet potatoes you could easily use normal potatoes or parsnips, depending on what you have at hand. but since i prefer sweet potatoes over anything there was not a single doubt they wouldn’t work for this recipe.
you can serve these millet and sweet potato balls with a salad, next to tofu or grilled veggies. they also work as a snack whenever you feel like you need a little extra something. of course you could have these as a side dish to pretty much anything, including some very non-vegan things. the millet and sweet potato balls are even road trip approved since you can easily pack them up and enjoy them with a dip or just as they are 🙂 happy snacking!
- 200g sweet potato (1 small one)
- 50g millet
- gluten-free breadcrumbs (i used corn)
- 2-3 tbsp gluten-free flour (i used buckwheat)
- 1 tbsp psyllium husks
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp curcuma
- salt to taste
- fresh parsley
- wash and rinse millet, then take a pot and cook it according to package directions.
- peel and cut the sweet potato into small cubes. in a small pot pour in some water and cook the sweet potato until it's soft in the inside, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- let cool down both millet and sweet potato after done cooking. then take a fork and mash the sweet potato.
- add in millet, flour, psyllium, herbs, salt to taste if you like and knead until a doughy consistency forms.
- in a different bowl add in some gluten-free breadcrumbs and start forming balls, then toss them into the breadcrumbs one by one and cover them completely.
- in a pan heat up some coconut oil and fry them for a few minutes until golden brown.
- tip: you don't necessarily need to fry the balls after forming them, you can easily leave out step 5 and 6 and enjoy them as they are.